We love our veggies and fruits here in the Deep South! We grow up on green beans, corn, peas, peaches, pears... you name it, we cook it and eat it!
One of my earliest, and fondest, memories is shelling peas at my Nanie's knee. She had an old enameled "apple pan" that she used for shelling peas, shucking corn, and shelling pecans. I still have it. I cherish it and the memories it brings.
Today, I don't really have that kind of time or even access to the field vegetables. What I DO have is fresh canned veggies! Did you know that
- Del Monte canned fruits, vegetables, and tomatoes contain the same essential nutrients as fresh varieties
- Del Monte fruits and vegetables are grown in the best growing regions of the United States, providing consumers with a consistently quality product
- The majority of Del Monte products are picked at the peak of ripeness and canned on the same day, to ensure nutrients and flavor are locked in
That's why Del Monte canned vegetables and fruits taste so fresh and so good and are never "mushy" or "soft".
Right now, the good folks at Del Monte are hosting an unbelieveably cool Facebook giveaway:
- Visit the Del Monte Facebook page from November 5th through February 4th to enter the Del Monte “Add Some Garden” contest for the chance to win one of the many prizes available, including kitchen appliances, and $25 or $500 gift cards to Williams Sonoma
- There will be five phases during the contest in which Del Monte will feature a different canned variety every two weeks
- Green beans (November 5- November 18)
- Corn (November 19- December 2)
- Tomatoes (December 3- December 16)
- Peaches (January 7- January 20)
- Pears (January 21- February 3)
- Fans will have five days during each phase to submit their best tips, and consumers will be able to vote for their favorite tip during the second week of each phase
- The five winning tips for each phase will then go head-to-head for a chance to win a Grand Prize culinary travel adventure, valued at $10,000, which will be announced February 15th
I've got a couple of great recipes to enter and I'll bet that you do as well!
We had dinner at mom's the other night and I made three fantastic dishes, if I DO say so myself! Unfortunately, I took pictures only of two. The first one we ate before I could grab the darn camera!
This is my pic of my Del Monte Cut Green Beans with diced onion and bacon. Simple, yet so flavourful and so good! You don't even need to add salt!
* Two cans of Del Monte Yellow Cling Sliced Peaches, drained
* 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
* 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
* 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
* 2 packages of pie crust dough, rolled out
Place drained peaches in a bowl and add sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until all peaches get a coating of the mixture. Place in a deep-dish pie pan.
Put pinches of butter throughout the peach mixture. Top with second pie crust pastry.
Bake in a 375 degree (Fahrenheit) oven for approx 45 minutes until top crust in nicely browned. After removing from oven, allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
Serve with whipped topping or ice cream!
The appetizer I made was a great hit (I've been making it for ages). We call it Southern Caviar! ;D
1 Can Del Monte Diced Tomatoes with Zesty Mild Green Chilies
1 Can Del Monte Fiesta Corn, drained
**1 Can black eye peas, rinsed and drained
1 small jalapeno, de-seeded and diced fine.
1/2 Lime, juiced or 2 teaspoons lime juice.
Drain Corn and drain / rinse Black eye peas. Put in glass (preferably) bowl. Add diced tomatoes and jalapeno. Stir thoroughly. Add lime. Stir again. Cover and let set in refrigerator until well chilled
Serve with chips!
**If you don't like black eye peas, substitute with drained, rinsed black beans!
Yes, this is the wonderful thing about Del Monte canned fruits and vegetables: versatility! There are just so many ways to use them both traditional and non-traditional. Let your imagination be your guide!
The folks at Del Monte would love to hear from you! Visit them on their Facebook page (and don't forget to enter their contest!), and follow them @DelMonteFoods on Twitter.
Del Monte has generously offered one of my readers the opportunity to receive a wonderful Gift Pack like the one I received! It includes:
- Five (5) Del Monte canned varieties- Green Beans (1), Corn (1), Diced Tomatoes (1), Peaches (1), and Pears (1)
- $25 Visa gift card
Is that not amazing? During the Holidays, I know this will come in handy for the shopper in your family! It did in mine!
Just follow the entry instructions below for your chance to enter to win!
***Open to USA only. One entry per person, per email, per household, please. ALL Entries are verified. If the entry form asks for specific information, please leave it in the space provided or make a blog comment. "Empty" entries will be discarded.***
The Del Monte product, information, and two gift packs have been provided by Del Monte. The opinions expressed herein are my own and based on my own use of and experience with the item(s).
a Rafflecopter giveaway